[opus] (no subject)

Brian Silverman bri at readysetstem.com
Thu Mar 9 14:27:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm looking a porting the Opus encoder (encoder only) to a Cypress PSoC 4
(a 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0 with very limited resources), and would like to
know the feasibility of stripping down the encoder to fit.  I've been
playing with the encoder configured with "--enable-fixed-point
--disable-intrinsics".

The end result I'm trying to get to is encoding a single 16kHz 16-bit LPCM
channel to fit into ~60kbps, and I'd like to encode in real-time or
better.  The opus_demo compression with default setting is fantastic on my
test audio - more than 12x, where I only need about 4x.  Hopefully that
means I have plenty of room to tweak so I can fit it in my limited
resources.

My resources:

   - 48MHz 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0
   - 32k RAM (of which I probably on have 16-24k available)
   - 256k ROM (of which I probably only have 128-196k available)

I have no doubt that I can fit the design in ROM - I've already tried
ripping out the decoder, and a stripped build can fit in 160k.

But, on speed and RAM, any thoughts on the feasibility, or what I'd have to
do to make this work?

P.S. I sent this to the mailing list before, but I never saw it appear.
Sorry if this is a duplicate.

--

Brian Silverman

Ready Set STEM