[opus] CELT license

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Wed Aug 1 13:36:29 PDT 2012

On 12-08-01 1:02 PM, John Ridges wrote:

> The big unknown for me is Huawei. I have not heard anything from anyone
> on whether opus infringes on the Huawei patent or not. On the IETF list,
> discussing IP issues was discouraged, but I hope now that the Xiph list
> is active again the developers can give us some insight on that.

With legal issues it's best to make your own determination, since patent
law provides no certaintly. Difficult as that is for engineers.

I can offer that, presenting Opus to the RTCWeb working group at the
IETF meeting on Monday, Tim stated with approval from his legal team,
that Mozilla has now deployed Opus without paying any licensing fees.

 -r