[opus] CELT license

John Ridges jridges at masque.com
Wed Aug 1 13:02:33 PDT 2012

I too would like to know the status of the opus IP holders. From what
I've seen on the CELT and opus lists, it seems that the CELT part of
opus is covered by patents from Xiph and Broadcom, and the SILK part of
opus is covered by the rest. All of the IP holders except Qualcomm and
Huawei have released their patents to the public as far as opus is
concerned, and the general consensus from the developers is that
Qualcomm automatically discloses patent claims against codecs whether
they apply or not, and that opus does not infringe on the Qualcomm patents.

The big unknown for me is Huawei. I have not heard anything from anyone
on whether opus infringes on the Huawei patent or not. On the IETF list,
discussing IP issues was discouraged, but I hope now that the Xiph list
is active again the developers can give us some insight on that.

John Ridges