[CELT-dev] multichannel

Dirk Griffioen dirk.griffioen at barcelonamedia.org
Thu Oct 15 07:25:23 PDT 2009

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for the reply.
> I apologise for being unclear: I was attempting to recommend you call
> celt_encode multiple times and interleave the resulting frames.  CELT
> is able to encode two channels at once but not more, additional
> channels are accomplished by using CELT multiple times.
>
> Perhaps it's not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish?  There
> isn't any way to use CELT for low latency work that doesn't require
> someone doing some coding…

(My use is a bit linux influenced)

I would like to encode multiple channels of audio, the input being for
instance
- a multichannel (wav) file
- n jack sources

And in the end stream low latency over RTP (for instance in a Gstreamer
pipeline); currently I use vorbis, and although it is very convenient
channelwise, the added latency is too high to be of use and I need
compression to keep the bandwith reasonable.

As I understand it now I will have to write both the interleaving bit
and the celt n channel rtp payloader.

Best, Dirk