[CELT-dev] multichannel

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 07:03:01 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Dirk Griffioen
<dirk.griffioen at barcelonamedia.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Would it be possible to encode n channels with the CELT api?
>
> I can't find a negative or positive in the CELT docs; all I could find
> is c a check on the nr of channels in wav_io.c in the CELT tools. No
> clear insight on wheter or not the channels parameter in
> celt_mode_create can be > 2.
>
> Answers on the list were (thanks!):
>
> - Sure, You just encode each channel and then store the encoded frames one after another.
> - I recommend you just encode N separate mono streams. I'm pretty sure that's what Vorbis does internally anyway.
> - It is possible. See, for example, the RTP draft
>
> However, it seems to me I would have to do some coding here; either in
> packaging/storing or rtp - is that correct?

I apologise for being unclear: I was attempting to recommend you call
celt_encode multiple times and interleave the resulting frames.  CELT
is able to encode two channels at once but not more, additional
channels are accomplished by using CELT multiple times.

Perhaps it's not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish?  There
isn't any way to use CELT for low latency work that doesn't require
someone doing some coding…