[CELT-dev] multichannel

Thu Oct 15 07:31:30 PDT 2009

Quoting Dirk Griffioen <dirk.griffioen at barcelonamedia.org>:
> I would like to encode multiple channels of audio, the input being for
> instance
> - a multichannel (wav) file
> - n jack sources
>
> And in the end stream low latency over RTP (for instance in a Gstreamer
> pipeline); currently I use vorbis, and although it is very convenient
> channelwise, the added latency is too high to be of use and I need
> compression to keep the bandwith reasonable.
>
> As I understand it now I will have to write both the interleaving bit
> and the celt n channel rtp payloader.

The RTP payload format defines everything you need to do to stream multi-channel
CELT audio. You happen to need more than one encoder state, but that's just an
implementation detail. The only thing that doesn't support >2 channels (for
now) is the Ogg software (celtenc/celtdec), but then again they're mostly toys
because there's no real reason to use CELT for encoding files.