[Icecast] How to get listed in dir.xiph.org? Solved: Use domain name without http:// for webhost

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Sun Oct 18 05:21:02 UTC 2009

Karl Heyes wrote:
> On 18/10/09 00:43, John Hicks wrote:
>> I've been trying to tweak my icecast.xml file to get listed in
>> xip.xiph.org, but am not making any progress.
>> I'm running icecast 2.3.1 and darkice 0.19
>>
>> Here are what I think are the relvant parts of icecast.xml:
>> <directory>
>> <yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
>> <yp-url>http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url>
>> </directory>
>> and
>> <mount>
>> <mount-name>/stream.ogg</mount-name>
>> <fallback-mount>/Silence.ogg</fallback-mount>
>> <fallback-override>1</fallback-override>
>> <hidden>0</hidden>
>> <no-yp>0</no-yp>
>> <public>1</public>
>> </mount>
>
>> How often is the directory refreshed? (How patient should I be?)
>
> The public setting here is an override mainly for on-demand relays but
> you should find a setting in the source client (as Geoff suggested).
> Besides that check the icecast error log, if YP support is disabled
> then that will be reported also if there is an error in adding the
> entry then the error will be logged (eg an invalid hostname).   While
> icecast may only add the entry after about a minute, the directory
> should show the entry fairly quickly after that.
>
> karl.

Bingo! Following your suggestion, I checked my Icecast error log (duh)
and found:
EROR yp/send_to_yp YP add on http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi failed:
Add refused. Reason: Illegal listen_url. Incorrect <hostname>.

After trying all sorts of different combinations and permutations of my
URL (with and without the port, with and without the tailing slash) in
the <webhost> entry of my icecast.xml, I finally stumbled on using the
domain name only (without the http://).
<webhost>mydomain.com</webhost>

That did the trick!

Thanks for the help, Karl (and Jiri and Jeff and Bryan)!

John