[Icecast] Basics about Videostreaming?

Chris MacDonald chris at fourthandvine.com
Fri Jan 19 00:22:58 UTC 2007

Hi

While I've personally never done it, I believe you can follow along with
a guide here:

http://www.oddsock.org/guides/video.php

Streaming video isn't so different from streaming music, you need a
supported source format, a source client to arrange and send your stream
to the distribution server and they clients connect to that. In this
particular case Icecast only supports OGG Theora (I think...) so you'll
first need to convert your video, the guide uses ffmpeg2theora for this
but I think any tool would do so long as you end up with Theora. Second
you'll need a source client capable of sending your stream to Icecast
and in this regard the guide makes use of ezstream, this is available on
the Icecast website. An example ezstream configuration is in the guide,
in it you can see how ezstream is actually set up to match .avi files,
use ffmpeg2theora to convert them then send them to Icecast.

As for compression, resolution and bandwidth requirements someone else
will have to step in here, or you'll just have to try it and tweak it
yourself. Try the manpage for ffmpeg2theora, in it it does appear to be
possible to lock the video and audio bitrate in order to keep the stream
a predictable size. I do know that 1024x768 is going to require a lot of
bandwidth to run at a respectable frame-rate and quality. Also keep in
mind that the conversion to Theora is happening in real-time, your
hardware may not be able to re-encode your stream fast enough at that
resolution. That said, I've never done this so you'll probably have to
test the waters yourself to get a good idea of the settings you'll need.

Good Luck,

Chris