[flac-dev] PATCH: OS SSE support detection, version 2

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Fri Mar 14 22:45:48 PDT 2014

lvqcl wrote:

> Thanks. I hope that this code will help to avoid "bug" reports
> such as http://sourceforge.net/p/flac/bugs/409/ (it seems that
> the author of this report compiled FLAC without --enable-sse option).

Oh, wow, I didn't even realise that the sourceforge bug tracker
was still being used. I'll need to go through that lot.

> OTOH, SSE support is unavailable only in Win95 and WinNT. Also,
> as Martijn van Beurden pointed out, flac.exe doesn't support Win95
> (and also 98/Me) since version 1.3.0, and nobody complained about it.
>
> Maybe it's better and simpler to change configure.ac so that --enable-sse
> is on by default if the target OS is Windows?

Thats not a bad idea. In fact its probably even beter to reverse the
logic so the enable-sse is the default which can be disabled with
--disable-sse.

> About part 1:does it have any problems? I can split it into several patches
> (1 fix = 1 patch) or explain the changes in it in detail.

I didn't apply patch1 because I mis-read your comment here:

    http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2014-March/004582.html

So, for the patches in this email:

    http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2014-March/004577.html

Should I apply patch2?

Should I revert patch1 which has already been applied?

Cheers,
Erik