[Vorbis] Random Writes

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon May 26 11:24:07 PDT 2008

On 25-May-08, at 1:27 PM, Greycode wrote:

>> It is possible to do random writes into an ogg vorbis bitstream?
>> If so, how would I do that with libvorbis/vorbisenc?

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.

If you want to create and write out parts of a vorbis stream in
parallel, the problem is that vorbis is natively variable bitrate, so
you don't know where to write subsequent segments until the previous
ones have been compressed. There is a CBR mode you can use to
moderate that, but it's not the most efficient compression.

  -r