[Vorbis] Hardware support

Charles philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 17 00:22:49 PDT 2008

"Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:

> The Samsung YEPP 6, Mega Edition (the one that plays 40 hours (MP3, not Vorbis)
> with a single AA battery). Occasionally it goes crazy on long filenames or on long
> tags, or on may tags, I never found out what exactly happens.

I see. I don't have any experience with that device.

> Last time I read the Vorbis specs, it sounded more like: "You can use
> these tags while we think of something better (=the XML format)". IMHO
> such statements are counter-productive. I don't have the specs here
> right now to quote exactly.

It is in the link in my last post:

,----[ Quote from Vorbis Comments Spec ]
| The Vorbis text comment header is the second (of three) header packets
| that begin a Vorbis bitstream. It is meant for short, text comments, not
| arbitrary metadata; arbitrary metadata belongs in a separate logical
| bitstream (usually an XML stream type) that provides greater structure
| and machine parseability.
|
| The comment field is meant to be used much like someone jotting a quick
| note on the bottom of a CDR. It should be a little information to
| remember the disc by and explain it to others; a short, to-the-point
| text note that need not only be a couple words, but isn't going to be
| more than a short paragraph. The essentials, in other words, whatever
| they turn out to be, eg:
|
| "Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer-Incentives, _I'm Still Around_,
| opening for Moxy Fruvous, 1997"
`----

By arbitrary metadata I believe the author meant things like lyrics
because later on in the spec there is a proposed, minimal list of
standard field names:

,----
`----

Charles