[Vorbis] Hardware support

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Jul 17 23:51:07 PDT 2008

On 17 Jul 2008 at 3:22, Charles philip Chan wrote:

Charles,

thank you for your precise quoting!

You are right, but let me add some remarks on the proposed tag set (below).

> ,----
> | TITLE
> |     Track/Work name
> | VERSION
> |     The version field may be used to differentiate multiple versions of
> |     the same track title in a single collection. (e.g. remix info)
> | ALBUM
> |     The collection name to which this track belongs
> | TRACKNUMBER
> |     The track number of this piece if part of a specific larger collection or album
> | ARTIST
> |     The artist generally considered responsible for the work. In popular
> |     music this is usually the performing band or singer. For classical
> |     music it would be the composer. For an audio book it would be the
> |     author of the original text.
> | PERFORMER
> |     The artist(s) who performed the work. In classical music this would
> |     be the conductor, orchestra, soloists. In an audio book it would be
> |     the actor who did the reading. In popular music this is typically
> |     the same as the ARTIST and is omitted.
> | COPYRIGHT
> |     Copyright attribution, e.g., '2001 Nobody's Band' or '1999 Jack
> |     Moffitt'
> | LICENSE
> |     License information, eg, 'All Rights Reserved', 'Any Use Permitted',
> |     a URL to a license such as a Creative Commons license
> |     ("www.creativecommons.org/blahblah/license.html") or the EFF Open
> |     Audio License ('distributed under the terms of the Open Audio
> |     License. see http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/eff_oal.html for
> |     details'), etc.
> | ORGANIZATION
> |     Name of the organization producing the track (i.e. the 'record
> |     label')
> | DESCRIPTION
> |     A short text description of the contents
> | GENRE
> |     A short text indication of music genre
> | DATE
> |     Date the track was recorded
> | LOCATION
> |     Location where track was recorded
> | CONTACT
> |     Contact information for the creators or distributors of the
> |     track. This could be a URL, an email address, the physical address
> |     of the producing label.
> | ISRC
> |     ISRC number for the track; see the ISRC intro page for more
> |     information on ISRC numbers.
> `----

One problem are multi-CD albums: Tracks on the CD always start a 1, while booklets
sometimes continue counting. If you use the track numbers as stored on CD, you
have (at least) playing conflicts: Most players would play track 1 from every CD,
then track 2, ...
For the date a more formalized syntax would be helpful (assuming some software is
expected to sort tracks by date). E.g. some ISO standard.
In addition to the ISRC the MCN (Media Catalog Number) can also be extracted from
CDs. Would be helpful if someone actually wants to buy the CD (IMHO).

Having multiple PERFORMER tags was a big disappointment with my player: Either id
did display nothing at all, or it displayed only one instance of those tags. So I
invented my own meta-syntax, that goes like this (JFYI):

performer1, performer2, ...: instrument1, instrument2, ...; performer3:
instrument3; ....

Up to some limit this works for every player. When listing 40 performers or so,
you have a problem however (I know one CD where 40 singers were listed together
with their recording position and voice)

Regards,
Ulrich