[Vorbis] Hardware support

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jul 16 23:44:34 PDT 2008

On 16 Jul 2008 at 19:54, Charles philip Chan wrote:

> "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:
>
> > I mean that proper tags are the alpha and omega for music archives
> > (and players as small archives). As long as there is no required
> > standard, everybody implements something. I once changed my files to
> > the recommendations to find out that my plaer would crash if I do
> > so...
>
> You mean these:
>
> http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html
>
> As for an expanded set of common tags, all players that I know of just
> simply used the common ones for mp3 and some additional tags from
> Foobar2000. Which player do you have? I have never had a crash like the
> one you discribed before.

The Samsung YEPP 6, Mega Edition (the one that plays 40 hours (MP3, not Vorbis)
with a single AA battery). Occasionally it goes crazy on long filenames or on long
tags, or on may tags, I never found out what exactly happens.

> What I meant by standard in my original post is that the structure of
> Vorbis Comments are well defined in the original spec and mot bolted on
> like id3.

Last time I read the Vorbis specs, it sounded more like: "You can use these tags
while we think of something better (=the XML format)". IMHO such statements are
counter-productive. I don't have the specs here right now to quote exactly.

> > OK, not quite my style...
> > BTW (I have no benefit from your visits): www.termites-at-work.com has some
> > downloadable MP3 files. I don't know whether those might be re-distributed as
> > Vorbis files, but one could ask... (I once watched a live recording of them at my
> > former school)
>
> Unless they can be reencoded from lossless to Vorbis, this is not a good
> idea since "lossy to lossy, your music will sound like ass".

Maybe the idea is not so good, but the music is ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich