[Vorbis] Hardware support

Charles philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 16 16:54:29 PDT 2008

"Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:

> I mean that proper tags are the alpha and omega for music archives
> (and players as small archives). As long as there is no required
> standard, everybody implements something. I once changed my files to
> the recommendations to find out that my plaer would crash if I do
> so...

You mean these:

http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

As for an expanded set of common tags, all players that I know of just
simply used the common ones for mp3 and some additional tags from
Foobar2000. Which player do you have? I have never had a crash like the
one you discribed before.

What I meant by standard in my original post is that the structure of
Vorbis Comments are well defined in the original spec and mot bolted on
like id3.

> OK, not quite my style...
> BTW (I have no benefit from your visits): www.termites-at-work.com has some
> downloadable MP3 files. I don't know whether those might be re-distributed as
> Vorbis files, but one could ask... (I once watched a live recording of them at my
> former school)

Unless they can be reencoded from lossless to Vorbis, this is not a good
idea since "lossy to lossy, your music will sound like ass".

Charles