[Vorbis] Hardware support

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jul 16 07:41:15 PDT 2008

On 16 Jul 2008 at 3:08, Charles philip Chan wrote:

> "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:
>
> > Such unclear statements confuse any implementor.
>
> What do you mean? Xiph is already helping out hardware companies by

I mean that proper tags are the alpha and omega for music archives (and players as
small archives). As long as there is no required standard, everybody implements
something. I once changed my files to the recommendations to find out that my
plaer would crash if I do so...

> providing Tremor, a fixed-point decoder. This is what the Rockbox
> decoder is based on (with parts rewritten in assembly for speed). If a
> small number of volunteers can produce a great Vorbis decoder in their
> spare time for a number of diverse targets, I can't see why a for profit
> company can't. Also, Vorbis Comments (tags) are very well documented.

OK, where is an example file that uses such well-documented tags in the
recommended way? I'd like to try some software on those....

> > Also Vorbis should have a small, but nice library of demo files!
>
> Not shipped, but there are links on the Xiph site:
>
> http://www.vorbis.com/music/

OK, not quite my style...
BTW (I have no benefit from your visits): www.termites-at-work.com has some
downloadable MP3 files. I don't know whether those might be re-distributed as
Vorbis files, but one could ask... (I once watched a live recording of them at my
former school)

Regards,
Ulrich