[Vorbis] streaming ogg

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat May 19 23:54:36 PDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> Well, can you tell me if I can put oggcodecs_0.71.0946.exe on my server for visitors that would like to use WMP?  Are there any legal stipulations that I need to observe?  I was not able to determine this on that download page.
>
> I never did get a clear answer from xiph regarding requirements for placing xiph_player_plugins_0.7.exe on my server for visitors who prefer RealPlayer.  (They recommended Helix Player.)  I have experimented and found that RealPlayer does not have trouble resuming ogg play after a lengthy pause.

Helix owns xiph_player_plugins_0.7.exe (though it links
against Ogg libraries).  It is available under both the
Real Public Source License <http://www.helixcommunity.org/content/rpsl>
and the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later.
Under the GPL you can certainly provide the file and if
you're not charging for your provision of the file all
you have to do is say where you got it and say it's
provided under GPL 2.

oggcodecs, according to the COPYRIGHTS file in the
version on my machine (0.70.0827), is under a
BSD license.  The installer contains that license
but it'd be polite to credit Zen next to the link
and mention the license type.

Both these files are freely available from their project
websites, why not just link to them?

--
imalone