[Vorbis] [Nico Sabbi] Re: [MPlayer-users] converting .rm video stream to .ogg

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Mar 23 04:57:44 PDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at email.it> wrote:

> I didn't mean to say that you are (or whoever designed ogg is) stupid;
> even a very good design may have flaws, but this doesn't make the author
> a stupid.
> I apologise if I used the wrong expressions

I knew you had not meant to.  Mostly I knew that so long as the
discussion remained that heated and that defensive, no one was going
to listen either way.

Ogg is weird.  Very very weird.  I'm not surprised the mplayer people
are pissed.  Ogg does not conform well (so they claim) to the
architecture they were already locked into, much as anyone working
inside an ACM framework is going to hate Vorbis (packets that return
no audio!  what!?).

And yet every weirdness exists for a reason.

FWIW, since mplayer can already take mux plugins, why do they object
so strongly to a muxer that itself takes plugins (shims)?

Leaving that aside for the moment, we have discussed, sporadically,
the idea of just enumerating all possible granpos formats we can think
of and hardcoding them into the spec, such that future codecs have to
choose amongst the existing encodings.  As yet, we've not opted to do
that because we've felt the objections to Ogg's present method are
mostly a knee-jerk reaction to having to change...

...and nothing is going to make the header system go away, although
the OggSkeleton was a planned piece from the beginning.

Monty