[Vorbis] Splitting a WAV file to aid gapless playback

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Mar 19 10:19:52 PDT 2007

Steve Fosdick wrote:
> Is it possible to do the same with Ogg/Vorbis files, i.e. is there a
> block/window size where I can make each WAV file to be encoded consist of
> a whole number of these blocks?  So what is it please?

You could concatenate the Ogg Vorbis files (using the method described
elsewhere in this thread), decode the big Ogg Vorbis file to a WAV file,
then use wavbreaker (http://huli.org/wavbreaker/) to break apart the WAV
file on boundaries that will replay seamlessly when burned to audio CDs.

Since you're not re-encoding this WAV file you shouldn't lose any quality.

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) is worth experimenting with
if you set its selection size to be CDDA frames.  I'm using v1.3.2beta
on my GNU/Linux system and it works quite well.  I haven't tried working
with it in CDDA selection mode (for lack of a better term), so I can't
say for certain that you'll get what you want out of it.  Audacity will
read Ogg Vorbis files but I'm not sure if it will read your concatenated
Ogg Vorbis file in its entirety.