[Vorbis] Splitting a WAV file to aid gapless playback

Chris Harrington (Personal) webkid at webkid.com
Mon Mar 19 08:43:33 PDT 2007

Directly appending one Vorbis stream to another creates a single gapless
stream.

If you use a Unix-like operating system (like Linux) you can type
cat vorbis1.ogg vorbis2.ogg > vorbis1and2.ogg

Going in the other direction, however, is not really as practical.
Vorbis is broken into chunks to fit into the Ogg encapsulation. These
chunks (called Pages, I believe) are fairly arbitrary and not based on a
number of seconds, for example.

If you need completely gapless playback, you should be able to use an
application like Nero to create completely seamless audio on a CD. I
haven't had trouble that way. (Then again, it's been a couple years
since I last burned an audio CD...)

-Chris