[Vorbis] A Macromedia Shockwave Flash-based Ogg player?

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Mon Jan 15 13:38:29 PST 2007

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> Probably because you manage to claim me saying something completely
> different from what I actually said. First of all I don't find it a very
> clever idea to add new, proprietary functionality to Firefox, forcing
> web authors to target only Firefox users if they intend to use the
> functionality.

And I will point out, again, that *all web standards start out as
proprietary only*.  They originally get into the open source browsers
and only slowly work their way into Internet Explorer.  If you never
start, then it will never expand.

Personally, I'd rather see Flash die a horrible death.  However, we are
stuck with it, for now, and I'm a pragmatist.

> Second, I don't think any sane web author would do
> something like that, as he knows that he will only reach a tiny share of
> the potential audience.

Ogg audio is probably the only case in which I disagree with you.

Ogg chews up quite a bit less bandwidth and website owners pay by the
byte for traffic.  Moving 10% of your users to less bandwidth translates
directly into money.  Quite a few websites pushed people from MP3 to AAC
by limiting MP3 slots solely for the bandwidth savings.

The problem those website owners have is that Ogg requires an install
and an install is instant death.  Even AAC wasn't a good option until
the last year or so.

> In which sense would this give them leverage for royalty negotiations?
> Do you really think it is an option for Adobe to remove MP3 support from
> Flash and break any Flash movie making use of MP3 playback, even if they
> by and chance decide to add Vorbis support?

No, but their MP3 licensing payout is almost certainly based upon
volume.  If the can defend an increasing uptick in Ogg users, they can
start demanding renegotiation.

-a