[Vorbis] A Macromedia Shockwave Flash-based Ogg player?

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Mon Jan 15 05:35:56 PST 2007

Andrew Lentvorski schrieb:

> So, having native Ogg support in 0% of web browsers is better than
> having it native in 10% of all web browsers *how*?  Please explain
> that to me because I don't seem to grasp your argument.

Probably because you manage to claim me saying something completely
different from what I actually said. First of all I don't find it a very
clever idea to add new, proprietary functionality to Firefox, forcing
web authors to target only Firefox users if they intend to use the
functionality. Second, I don't think any sane web author would do
something like that, as he knows that he will only reach a tiny share of
the potential audience.

> I don't see a conflict here.  Besides, what make you think that Adobe
> wouldn't grab a fully written Ogg codec and pull it backward into
> their own VM?  It gives them lots of leverage in their royalty
> negotiations with other codec providers.

In which sense would this give them leverage for royalty negotiations?
Do you really think it is an option for Adobe to remove MP3 support from
Flash and break any Flash movie making use of MP3 playback, even if they
by and chance decide to add Vorbis support?

Tor