[Vorbis] finding floors and residues

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 14:26:38 PST 2007

On Dec 25, 2007 4:59 PM, Michał Krzysztof Szczerbak <spadovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have a project at my university to look through the vorbis encoder and run
> some tests on how it is working in different situations etc. therefore I
> have some questions that you probably know the asnwers for. Please, help - I
> want to understand correctly the the process:

Your questions appear to indicate that you don't yet completely
understand the approach used in Vorbis and since they are so broad
they are hard to answer.

You may find the following introductory material on vorbis useful:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~yong/mumt611/MUMT611-Vorbis-SY.pdf
http://faculty.washington.edu/edhong/523/slides/OggVorbis.ppt

There is a mostly reasonable diagram here:
http://www.cesnet.cz/doc/techzpravy/2006/vorbis/#Vor00

(I'm sure some one else can provide some other useful more introductory links)

The decoder spec should include everything you need to know about the format:
http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html

If you could reduce your questions to a few specific points about the
introductory materials it would be easier for people to answer you.

Thank you for your interesting in Vorbis, and good luck with your studies!