[Vorbis] finding floors and residues

Michał Krzysztof Szczerbak spadovsky at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 13:59:54 PST 2007

hi,

I have a project at my university to look through the vorbis encoder and run
some tests on how it is working in different situations etc. therefore I
have some questions that you probably know the asnwers for. Please, help - I
want to understand correctly the the process:
a) the floor vectors are the less precise vectors representing a spectrum in
a channel
b) they are selected from the predefined ones in modes/setupXX.h
c) are they somehow computed with the use of data provided in the stream of
pcm samples?
d) this information is sent once in a header no.3
e) the residues are the differences between floor vector and the actual
spectrum
f) in which file/function that process is shown
g) in the header packet is sent a type of residues (0,1,2) ? because i
understand that
h) the residues are in fact in audio packets because they represent the
actual values
i) code books are somehow computed to minimalized the space for codes of
residues?
j) where is that?
k) which file is responsible for coding the audio packets?
l) which file is responsible for packing data into packets?

thank you in advance, Mike.