[Vorbis] High Latency of vorbisencoder on a hardware with no floatpoint unit

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Apr 20 04:26:49 PDT 2006

On 4/20/06, pavan kumar <pavanchikkala at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am porting the vorbis encoder to Symbian platform,(to support ogg
> recording) everything works fine for the emulator(PC), but then on the
> Hardware whenever I am trying to record it gives KErrOverFlow(buffer
> OverFlow). We get this error from the driver when the latency of the codec
> is too high. The main reason is that the hardware does not have the
> floatpoint unit and the vorbisencoder is floatpoint imple.. Fixed point
> tremor works properly on the hardware.
> Has anyone come across this kind of problem on the hardware? Can any one
> suggest how i can improve the performance of the vorbisencoder?

Really, there's not much you can do with the reference encoder on a
platform with no floating point support; I don't think there's much
point in trying.

Instead, you should look at developing a fixed point implementation
seperately. You'd probably want to do a number of things quite
differently from the reference implementation for speed reasons, as
well as obviously avoiding floating point everywhere. This is a pretty
substantial project, of course - particularly if you want a good
quality encoder.

Mike