[Vorbis] metadata

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Sep 28 10:17:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 10:54:57AM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:

> Musicbrainz seems to have a slightly different aim, in that they are
> doing some DC and producing database entries corresponding to element
> contents.  I may have misunderstood and should probably browse the
> database to get an idea of what they're actually including.

Well, they have a metadata database (and an autotagger) but the db uses
a published schema, and that's how you talk to it. However, I was
thinking about the support for role, contributer, remix, cover, etc.
that was supposed to be part of the extended namespace; it looks like
they've backed off on that since it's no longer on the main site.
Development is still going on in the wiki though. See for example
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/AdvancedRelationshipType

> To me 'extent' doesn't look comfortable as a replacement for
> 'LOCATION', and it's what prompted my comment about the bias
> towards publications.  Having said that, using it would cause
> rational things to happen---a hypothetical database searched
> for Abbey Road would return recordings made there and published
> histories.  I could live with it.

Yes, that's the point. It doesn't matter so much what the tag is called
so long as there's a place to file the information.

 -r