[Vorbis] metadata

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 02:54:57 PDT 2005

Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:42:33PM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:

<snip>

> As you suggest, some sort of xml representation is an obvious choice.
> Candidates include RDF+Dublin Core, Musicbrainz, and CMML. The latter
> actually has an explicit embedding on Ogg, but is a little weak on
> the kitchen sink description. :)

Musicbrainz seems to have a slightly different aim, in that they are
doing some DC and producing database entries corresponding to element
contents.  I may have misunderstood and should probably browse the
database to get an idea of what they're actually including.

<s>

>>To some degree the Dublin Core (DC) stuff looks useful, but it is
>>still heavily directed towards publications: there is no analogue
>>for the Vorbis suggested comment 'LOCATION', and in both the above
>>examples you would have to have a lot of qualified 'contributor'
>>elements and decide on the difference between creator and contributor.
>>The most helpful thing they have is listings of the possible
>>restricted vocabularies; pointers to standards for specifying
>>locations, dates, etc.
>

> You can do location in DC. Look at the 'spatial' qualifier of the
> 'extent' element. There's also a handfull of standard types defined
> for the element's value.

To me 'extent' doesn't look comfortable as a replacement for
'LOCATION', and it's what prompted my comment about the bias
towards publications.  Having said that, using it would cause
rational things to happen---a hypothetical database searched
for Abbey Road would return recordings made there and published
histories.  I could live with it.

> It's true that there was a bias toward publications, especially at
> the beginning, but DC is evolving into a general resource classification
> system for library holdings. Probably since librarians are the only
> ones seriously trying to solve this problem. I also like it because
> it's an amazingly sane committee standard.

I certainly agree with that.  It's a while since I've held a
real library card, but I can imagine the kind of information
I want to include fitting onto one.

>>On top of this: multiple performers, qualified so cast, conductor,
>>etc. [...]
>

> So, the RDF data model is much more capable than the (key, value)
> pairs the vorbis comment header uses. It defines a graph, where
> nodes (which represent things) and connected by named edges that
> specify a relationship.

That I didn't know.  At this point I should probably read up on
RDF itself and go and see how many of my existing .ogg can be
dealt with this way.

<s>

> This whole framework is what I was referring to when I wrote
> "RDF + dublincore" in the wiki. IMO this is the best option
> within which to develop a "kitchen sink" metadata stream for
> Ogg.

Thanks, I begin to understand what I don't understand.

--
imalone