[Vorbis] Hello! Some Question.

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Fri Oct 21 03:25:58 PDT 2005

On 10/14/05, 정해영 <yacha at ncsoft.net> wrote:
> I want to change the library source and change Ogg game music files so the
> file can only be played within the game.
>
> I want to know if I can modify the library.
>
> And if I modify it, will if cause any legal problems? (even if I don't open
> the modified source code.)

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply - you weren't subscribed to the list, and our
list moderators (mostly me) don't have time to check the moderation
queue very often.

Anyway, there's no legal problems with modifications to the library.
The license requires that anyone using libvorbis must distribute the
copyright notice (the COPYING file in libvorbis) along with the
"documentation and/or other materials", and that you not use the name
of the Xiph.Org Foundation to "endorse or promote" products without
getting prior permission (though we're generally pretty happy if
people want to advertise that they use Xiph software!)

So there's nothing that requires you to distribute any changes in the
source code (though if you do make any changes that you CAN contribute
back, we're always happy to see them - whether those are bugfixes,
optimisations, or something else).

This license was specifically chosen so that developers who needed to
use a modified version of the library could do exactly that.

Mike