[Vorbis] A faster ogginfo

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 02:40:23 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:20:40 +1000, Paul L Daniels
<pldaniels at pldaniels.com> wrote:
> Good day all,
>
>         I have a small collection of ogg files (5Gb) on my fileserver which I have mounted over NFS.
>
>         My problem is that ogginfo takes too long to be used practically in programs like gqmpeg due to naturally wanting to do
> a full file check on each ogg file for valadity etc.

Programs like gqmpeg shouldn't be using ogginfo if what they're trying
to do is extract tags. It's not meant to be used for that purpose.

>         My question/request is; is there a way to make ogginfo only look at the headers (ie, first K or two of data) and not
> bother with the data checking?

No. This would only be useful for things that should not use ogginfo
in the first place.

>         I was thinking of writing something myself to extract the trackname/etc but I thought it best to check with everyone to
> see if it hasn't already been done.

A standalone app for that purpose? Not to my knowledge. Writing one
using libvorbisfile would be completely trivial. Really, applications
should be using libvorbisfile directly rather than executing an
application to do it.

Mike