[Vorbis] Stand alone media player supporting Ogg ?

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Sun Jan 23 05:26:51 PST 2005

Kent Barbour wrote:

> 1. Anyone know of an Ogg playing media player, similar to the Netgear
> MP101 or the Voyetra AudioTron-100 (neither of which play ogg) ?
> I need something that will display and play/stream ogg audio files
> stored on the PC, without having to use a tv as the viewer. I looked
> on the wiki but didn't find anything. If they don't use a tv they
> don't play ogg, so far anyway.

I've been thinking about this for a while and one feasible solution
would be to have some software running on a PC, doing real time
Vorbis->WAV convertion and exposing the WAV files on a network share.
Most devices can play uncompressed WAV files and the necessary bandwith
is rarely an issue in local networks.

> 2. And while I'm here. . .What's involved for one of these companies
> like Netgear or Linksys to include Ogg as a supported format? Is it
> just an addition to the firmware? Is it that much of an additional
> expense?
> How do we go about getting them to support it?

Why not send them an email and ask for it? One guess is that the
additional development costs are too high.

Tor