[Vorbis] Re: [Fwd: Better ogg cutting tool]

craig duncan craig-duncan at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 08:01:58 PST 2005

Daniel Schregenberger wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> here's a forwarded message from Craig Duncan, who wrote a replacement
> for vcut. As he is not on the list and I kinda participated in the
> discussion about vcut, he sent the mail to me.
> I'm sorry it took me so long to forward it, I was in vacation. :)
>
> I've attached the source.
> @Craig: How about putting up a small page with your program? I can put
> it on my page if you don't want to do it yourself.

<snip>

I hadn't thought through what i was going to do with this once it was written.  I
just needed it and wrote it.  In fact, my original (naive) idea of sharing it was
just to give it to Michael Smith.  :-)  But i got some good advice from John Morton
so i've created a SourceForge project.  I'm waiting for approval of the "project",
which i'm anticipating will be soon.

So i'll put it up there and email a link when there's something there.  I've also had
a chance to get some feedback about usability enhancements (being able to specify
multiple cutpoints) and have decided (and started on) writing a C extension for Ruby
for the low-level ogg functions.  I'm going to reimplement my program in Ruby so i'll
be able to write the command-line processing (including being able to take cut-info
from a file) in Ruby rather than C.

I think i'll put the original C source up, also, if that is more convenient for
anyone (enough to compensate for the lack of more sophisticated option-handling).
It'll be a few days (at least) before the Ruby port is up.

At that point i'll be ready for more enhancement suggestions.

craig

P.S.  Thanks Daniel.  Hope you had a good vacation.  :-)