[Vorbis] Bitrate Peeling (no. really)

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Sep 30 17:06:31 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 07:46:18PM -0400, ben-extra at MIT.EDU wrote:

> 1) What is the project?  Specifically, a list of criteria that must be
>    met before the bounty is claimed.  I personally hope this will
>    include that it works with existing .ogg files.

If you don't think the descriptions at http://wiki.xiph.org/Bounties are
clear enough, please add to the page.

> 2) Who is the judge(s) that will decide (1)

As I said, the core xiph.org members would decide if the conditions had
been met.

> 3) An estimated start and finish date.

I was thinking less of a 'street performer protocol' approach than a
traditional bounty arrangement where the money accumulates until it's
motivating enough for someone to put forth the work to claim it. This
discussion of bitrate peeling has sort of assumed there's someone who
could do it just waiting for funding. That's not really the case (more,
the numbers we suggested is more what we thought we could convince
someone to do it for) and definitely not the case for the other
bounties. They're projects that need doing we've not been successful in
attracting the volunteer labor to complete.

As such, I don't think timelines and reports are a good idea. That makes
sense if we grant bounties 'a priori' as in 'we contract with you to do
this work for this amount' but I think the market effects are better
with the paid-on-first-delivery approach. Maybe I'm wrong, most of my
experience has been with bug bounties, where the tasks are a little
smaller.

> 5) Procedures for the money to be returned if the project isn't
>    completed by a certain date.

As I said, we could do this for people who so request, but I'd rather
the money just revert to the foundation so it can be used to support
other work. Keep in mind the contribution won't be tax deductible if
it's refundable. I think the decision to take down the bounty should
also be up to the xiph org board, rather than the calendar. They may
stand for years and eventually become irrelevent, but that's not
something one can determine ahead of time.

 -r