[Vorbis] Size of Windows ogg.dll and vorbis.dll

Michael Seyfert michaels at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Sep 27 09:10:14 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:26:52AM -0400, Greg Rezansoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    On the Windows platform, I would like to compile a version of the codec files ogg.dll, vorbis.dll, and vorbisfile.dll that are small. I notice that the provided Windows projects are very large...the release Vorbis.dll is > 1 mb.  To me, that is huge.
>
> I am only using decoding features.

I recommend you use the static oggvorb library.
If you use the static oggvorb libraries, your program will only contain the oggvorb code you use.
I use the static *.lib files and the sound portion of my program is tiny.

> I looked in the Zinf project, and they seem to have a version with the encoding functions removed...where is the source for this?  Do I have to create a separate project that takes these out.
> I don't get why it isn't included, or where it can be found or what was done.
>

> (As well, is there a decent sample of hooking DirectSound to the Vorbis? For example, how to translate the input values to a WaveFormatEX structure, etc...)

as for direct sound, I recommend you get the DirectX SDK at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/directx.asp
and start reading the documentation.
I can send you my code for playing OGG (and WAV) files using directsound if you like, (released under LGPL).

> (As well, what is the purpose of the  Windows SDK project?  It seems kind of confusing.  There is no documentation on how it was compliled, with what debug, what settings...I don't trust it.  Its just kind of sitting out there...with documentation copied from libvorbis project)

The oggvorb windows SDK is just a binary compilation of oggvorbis. I use it because it is simple (don't have
to compile my own version of oggvorb).
You might have to configure your linker to /IGNORE certain c runtime libraries (if the compilation of
oggvorb is not linked with the same c runtime you link your project with)