[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue May 25 18:28:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 02:24:58PM -0500, noprivacy at earthlink.net wrote:
> [...]

We're lagging because there's other work to be done now.  However, the
reference implementation is *not* intended to be low quality.  At each
release, it tends to be the highest quality general purpose encoder.
here simply hasn't been a tuning release for a while, and so others'
tunings have surpassed the reference.

> All three points are valid, which is why Monty never wanted to integrate
> Garf's tunings into the official code, even though it would have been little
> to no work for him.  And why these newer tunings will also never make it
> into the official code.

Not true; at each tuning release, I *did* integrate Garf's changes,
either in concept or whole-cloth.  Garf simply hasn't released new
tunings for a long time.  The one Garf change that was never
completely adopted was with respect to impulse tuning; the very
aggressive short block usage could lead to wild bitrate changes, and
we decided to walk the middle of the road on that one.

Anyway, the next major release of Vorbis when it happens (and it will
be Vorbis, not Vorbis II) will include new tuning work and new
acoustic modelling infrastrcutre.  Naturally, we'll also look at the
AoTuV work (although I know some of it already).

This is not to discount the tuning effort AoTuV has accomplished;
AoTuV embodies good work, and I want to congratulate the developers on
their improvements.  Three cheers!

Monty