[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Tue May 25 19:02:50 PDT 2004

From: "Monty" <xiphmont at xiph.org>

> reference implementation is *not* intended to be low quality.  At each
> release, it tends to be the highest quality general purpose encoder.
> here simply hasn't been a tuning release for a while, and so others'
> tunings have surpassed the reference.

At some bit rates, probably.  But at the higher quality settings that most
people used, even Garf's old version is still better than the newer official
version.

> > Garf's tunings into the official code, even though it would have been
little
> > to no work for him.  And why these newer tunings will also never make it
> > into the official code.
>
> Not true; at each tuning release, I *did* integrate Garf's changes,
> either in concept or whole-cloth.  Garf simply hasn't released new
> tunings for a long time.  The one Garf change that was never

Well.... Let's just say that Garf seems to have a different opinion of that.
And that his opinion is strong enough that he's abandoned Vorbis completely.