[vorbis] OGG Versus MP3

vorbis at papaya.altamente.com vorbis at papaya.altamente.com
Fri Mar 19 03:44:35 PST 2004

> Talking about high bitrates, I assume you meant MP3's mid/side-stereo ?
> What's wrong with it ? It's just a pi/2 rotation of the L/R samples
> before quantization and inverse rotation after reqnatization. The
> transform itself is lossless and helps decorrelating the channels'
> samples for a more compact representation. In CBR you'll get a higher
> SNR using adaptive m/s-stereo than this crappy "true-stereo" bull shit.

You're right.  My comment about joint stereo modes for mp3's is really an
offhanded comment about its general drawbacks at low bitrates.  Since, I
don't use mp3 for high bitrates, I wouldn't know anyway.  Stereo
separation is just what used to piss me off about mp3 before well all
started using higher bitrates.

I still say mp3 --preset extreme sounds a little mushier on these samples
I put together (6.2 Meg total).  Vorbis sounds most like the original.
*chuckle* Although using bitorrent is like nuking a mouse, but hey
*shrug*.

--James