[vorbis] OGG Versus MP3

Sebastian Gesemann sgeseman at upb.de
Fri Mar 19 03:24:05 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 vorbis at papaya.altamente.com wrote:

Agree on what you've said about the article.

> As you go up in quality, I don't believe oggvorbis scales so well for
> higher bitrates, that is, the improvement with respect to increase in
> bitrate tapers off above q 5.  Enter Garf's tuned encoder for higher
> bitrates.  I like it, it sounds great to me.  For classical music, I hate
> mp3's joint stereo business.  Downside of GTbeta1 or 2?... Garf's a bit
> grouchy *waves*.

Talking about high bitrates, I assume you meant MP3's mid/side-stereo ?
What's wrong with it ? It's just a pi/2 rotation of the L/R samples
before quantization and inverse rotation after reqnatization. The
transform itself is lossless and helps decorrelating the channels'
samples for a more compact representation. In CBR you'll get a higher
SNR using adaptive m/s-stereo than this crappy "true-stereo" bull shit.

It's not that a big difference to Vorbis which reduces entropy in
lossless stereo by interleaving & VQ.

Maybe you're sensitive to the "HF boost issue" and pick out the
vorbis files as better/clearer sounding ? Keep in mind that this
effect is kind of an unwanted artifact. (at least unwanted for
high bitrates)

Sebastian

--
PGP-Key-ID (long): 572B1778A4CA0707