{Spam?} Re: [vorbis] OGG Versus MP3

Sebastian Gesemann sgeseman at upb.de
Fri Mar 19 05:53:16 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 vorbis at papaya.altamente.com wrote:

> You're right.  My comment about joint stereo modes for mp3's is really an
> offhanded comment about its general drawbacks at low bitrates.  Since, I
> don't use mp3 for high bitrates, I wouldn't know anyway.  Stereo
> separation is just what used to piss me off about mp3 before well all
> started using higher bitrates.

Your're probably referring to "Intensity Stereo" which is used by
the old FhG Encoder (among other encoders ?) for 128 kbps and below
with the intention to improve subjective sound quality.

It's essentially the same as Vorbis' "Point Stereo", wich is used
for q5 and below.

IMHO it's a good idea to do so because we're usually not able to
perceive phase differences at higher frequencies.
Just try FAAC for low bitrates (ie 96 kbps). It does NOT use
intensity stereo nor PNS (as far as I've checked). That's why
is sucks for those bitrates.

> I still say mp3 --preset extreme sounds a little mushier on these samples
> I put together (6.2 Meg total).  Vorbis sounds most like the original.
> *chuckle* Although using bitorrent is like nuking a mouse, but hey
> *shrug*.

I can hardly believe that you're able to tell the differences
between WAV, LAME-VBR-MP3 (--alt-preset extreme) and OggVorbis
(-q7).
Did you ABX at those settings ? If not, keep in mind that your
subconscious may have led you to perceive the quality in
different ways.

I'm just trying to argue rationally - it's nothing personal.
;)

Sebastian

--
PGP-Key-ID (long): 572B1778A4CA0707