[vorbis] Ogg artifacts

Andrew Bainbridge andrew.bainbridge1 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 22 16:02:25 PST 2004

> What it really boils down to is my thoughtlessness of cd rippers and
> encoders and the seperation between the two. I was so caught up in finding
> a front end to manage the song names, that I constrained myself to GUI apps
> instead of using the command-line tools and removing all other elements.

I rip to wavs with EAC and encode with the GUI program oggdropXPd. The
link below offers a few different versions of oggdrop (they're all free
of course):

http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/ogg.html

What follows is more information than you want ;-)

There's one version of oggdropXPd built with LibVorbis 1.0.1 which
should provide exactly the same encoding as the command line app you
used (assuming you used the latest version). There's also another
version labelled GT3b1, which uses a modified version of LibVorbis v1.0.
GT stands for Garf Tuned. Garf is a guy who has tweaked the standard
Vorbis encoder, and most people agree that the results are slightly
better than the standard encoder (although this is probably still
controversial).

- Andrew