[vorbis] Ogg artifacts

Jon Pomrenke stimpy at xmission.com
Thu Jan 22 15:44:50 PST 2004

> Unless I'm misunderstanding your description below, you're comparing the
> CD ripping mechanisms of tkcOggRipper and EAC, not the codecs MP3 and
> Ogg Vorbis. To compare the codecs, you should take the uncompressed WAV
> from EAC, encode that with MP3 and Ogg Vorbis respectively, and compare
> the results.

I didn't realize that EAC supported both LAME and Ogg, hence the different
rippers. I apologize for that. For one just getting into Ogg, it is
difficult to find a good front end without personally trying them all (or
asking the list).

What it really boils down to is my thoughtlessness of cd rippers and
encoders and the seperation between the two. I was so caught up in finding
a front end to manage the song names, that I constrained myself to GUI apps
instead of using the command-line tools and removing all other elements.

The real reason the LAME encoded song was better than the Ogg encoded song
wasn't the encoding algorithms at all but the ripper behind the encoding. I
verified that EAC is pulling a clean .wav file from the cd. With that clean
.wav, I did a command-line encode using oggenc and pulled a perfect song
from the cd.

> Ogg overshoots the waveform.
> <snip>
> This results in a harder clipping noise than on the original CD.
>
> Solution:
>
> Reduce the playback gain of these files.

Thanks, that was the other part of my long-winded question asked earlier.

-Jon