[vorbis] WMA9 versus OGG

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Fri Feb 27 20:39:02 PST 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:51, Tom Page wrote:
>  Hello all
>
>  I have been encoding to OGG as a default for well over a year, but I
>  recently thought I ought to test how it sounds compared to other codecs. I
>  got the Windows Media 9 encoder and I was quite surprised at how bad a job
>  OGG did at quality 0 with a simple piano clip, and how well WMA9 was -
> I've always considered WMA as being a bit naff, but WMA9 has forced me to
> re-access this view

At this level you really have to go with the artifacts you can live with. That
said, I agree with  Lorenzo that the ringing/twinkling artifacts in the wma
version are far more intrusive than the swishing produced by vorbis sounds
pretty much like the swishing of the waves anyway. The -q4 --resample 22500
version is ok, but I don't like the loss of attack that you get at that
sample rate.

John