[vorbis] Breakthrugh for Qtcomponents dev?

metrom metrom at vorbis.nu
Sat Feb 7 04:30:04 PST 2004

Alexander Thomas posted this in the forum at the qtcomponents site.

"I applied the patch and compiled the component for OS X. I also fixed the
case insensitivity of the tags. The binary can be downloaded here:
http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~athomas/OggVorbis_qtx.sit

However, the speed increase is not dramatic. It now takes about 3 seconds to
load a file which previously took 7 seconds. Files on slow media still take
as much time as required to read the entire file. I tested this with a USB
key and it takes 46 seconds to load a large ogg file! I really don't
understand why the file has to be read entirely before it can be played.
It's not because the file is loaded into memory, because it's still being
read from disk while it's playing..."

Great, but this plugin really need some developing, too bad that Ogg Vorbis
performs so bad in OSX (i know of Whamb and the others, but they just don't
forfull the needs most osx users)

metrom