[vorbis virus spam] Any list ops ever thought... was re: [vorbis] Hey

C h a r l e s T. H o u g h t b y I V tom at rapidappraisal.com
Fri Apr 23 09:06:26 PDT 2004

so what do people think of this?

On Thursday 15 April 2004 11:05 am, C h a r l e s   T.   H o u g h t b y   I V
wrote:
->...about maybe stripping all zip, exe, pif, etc  attachments from emails
->coming to vorbis at xiph.org? Granted, Ryan Ashley has a Very Valid Point and I
->agree wholeheartedly about "Any idiot who opens a pif, exe, bat, com, or any
->other executable file deserves what they get." and would actually encourage
->these feeble minded folks to "Please, Open it and Darwinate your dumb self
->right off the net". There are minimum aptitude levels for driving, there
->should be for net use as well (could be too extreme...).
->
->Alas, from a client and server bandwidth perspective, it might be
advantageous
->to strip that crap off emails right at the list server and just have a
policy
->of "if you have something you have to send, attach it with a different
->filename like xyzdata.zi-, 'inline' it (error logs and the like), or even
->better, post it to a website and/or have it available upon request (via
->client to client email rather than client to list to everyone email).".
Then,
->the offending attachment would only eat ONE email worth of xiph's bandwidth
->vs. N where N=NoOfSubscribers+WWW_ML_ArchiveHits.
->
->Also, it would have an added prophylactic effect on virus spread :)
->
->Just my .02.
->I have never run a mailinglist so I don't know if this is possible or not.
->
->---
->Yours,
->Charles T. Houghtby IV
->IT Manager, Rapid Appraisal, INC
->
->---
->        During a grouse hunt in North Carolina two intrepid sportsmen
->were blasting away at a clump of trees near a stone wall.  Suddenly a
->red-faced country squire popped his head over the wall and shouted,
->"Hey, you almost hit my wife."
->"Did I?"  cried the hunter, aghast.  "Terribly sorry.  Have a
->shot at mine, over there."
->-
->"Oh" my new operator calls as I leave, "I can't remember what your backup
->tape looked like. Is this it here on the Bulk Eraser?"
->        --The Last BOFH
->--- >8 ----
->Ogg project homepage: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/
->containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is needed.
->Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be ignored/filtered.
->
->

--
Yours,