[vorbis] Why is Vorbis development slow?

engdev engdev at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 29 21:56:21 PDT 2003

OK, point taken.

> knowledge to move things forward, and there probably aren't just dozens
and
> dozens of people who are even *capable* of doing the work you're doing,
even
> if they *did* know what to do.  This ain't bubble sort.
-snip-
> And given that the sort of people who could actually handle the level of
> difficult coding required probably don't *need* any more documentation?
And
> given that no one is willing to pay you to write them?

So, you have to be pretty good at coding to make changes, and as such you
don't really need documentation. I can understand that.

> Would you work on additional tuning even though what you have already
beats
> the pants off the most popular alternative/market leader?

Don't get me wrong. I think vorbis beats all the other available codecs out
there. But *why* is it having such a hard time getting accepted by 'the
masses'?

> Or would you spend your time working for hire making a way for companies
> sell hardware (a.k.a. make money) using your codec?  And in so doing, stay
> solvent and thus allow development to continue at all?

Pushing my own barrow... there *is* a DEcoder (tremor) available to port to
a DSP. But there is *not* an ENcoder (I am aware of). Are any of the Xiph
developers doing such a beast, and if they aren't, would they take it on,
and for how much?

Owen.