[vorbis] Why is Vorbis development slow?

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Mon Sep 29 21:34:52 PDT 2003

> I have been following this thread, and I find it amazing that Xiph is not
> willing to put more effort into documentation.

Okay, say you're the brains behind a software project.  Only you have the
knowledge to move things forward, and there probably aren't just dozens and
dozens of people who are even *capable* of doing the work you're doing, even
if they *did* know what to do.  This ain't bubble sort.

Your sole source of income is what people will donate to your non-profit.
You don't have a big nest egg, so you can't be unemployed for long.

You've already created fairly easy-to-read source code.  And detailed
technical documentation.  And user-level documentation.

What would you work on?  Highly detailed documentation so a few more
developers could maybe join up?  Though there's no guarantee they'll do so?
And given that the sort of people who could actually handle the level of
difficult coding required probably don't *need* any more documentation? And
given that no one is willing to pay you to write them?

Would you work on additional tuning even though what you have already beats
the pants off the most popular alternative/market leader?

Or would you spend your time working for hire making a way for companies to
sell hardware (a.k.a. make money) using your codec?  And in so doing, stay
solvent and thus allow development to continue at all?

Again, I know what I would have chosen.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
Cats are Spiderman,