[vorbis] Why is Vorbis development slow?

Sebastian Gesemann sgeseman at upb.de
Tue Sep 30 03:52:42 PDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, engdev wrote:

> OK, OK, I get the message. I was only 'following up' with my thoughts which
> were provoked by a user wishing to write his own implementation, only to be
> told to refer to the code. This is not what he wanted, he wanted to create
> from 'scratch' if you like, from the documentation.
>
> This was several months back. I never saw him on this list again - I assume
> he gave up and "copied" the code.

Might be me...

Well. It wasn't easy, but I succeded in overcoming the difficulties.
I had to fill the information gaps in the spec with my common sense.
(It didn't work for the floor-0 stuff, anyway)

Wow, and i did'n look at the reference code once.
So, I'm really kinda proud. :-)

The specs aren't perfect, but with enough background knowledge about
other source coding techniques, it's possible to build a vorbis
decoder without the reference code.

@ John Diplay :
You didn't implement Floor-0 either, did you ?

Sebastian