[vorbis] Why is Vorbis development slow?

engdev engdev at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 29 23:08:44 PDT 2003

OK, OK, I get the message. I was only 'following up' with my thoughts which
were provoked by a user wishing to write his own implementation, only to be
told to refer to the code. This is not what he wanted, he wanted to create
from 'scratch' if you like, from the documentation.

This was several months back. I never saw him on this list again - I assume
he gave up and "copied" the code.

> to do such work anyway.  We've developed, implemented, codified, and
> evangelized what is one of the best damn lossless audio codecs on this
> earth.  Most other research institutions don't even make it this far.

I was talking of Vorbis, are you referring to FLAC (which was developed
outside Xiph)? And I don't mean to make Xiphs' work seem small, but I can't
help but wonder if it is so good, and free, then why is it having such a
struggle getting off the ground (ie: widely accepted)?
PS: I think it is an excellent codec, but hardware support forces me to
MP3 - yuk! I follow this list to keep up to date with Vorbis, not to start
word wars, which I am sure turns users away or at least glazes their eyes.

> On a more positive note, we've tried various things to get more people
> to write documentation.  I invite you to participate in these efforts.

I write so much documentation at work, that I can barely stand it! Still, I
am interested.

Owen.