[vorbis] Digitially Imported radio - let's ask for Vorbis

Colin D Bennett cbennett at radsoft.com
Tue Sep 23 09:29:57 PDT 2003

Digitally Imported radio (http://di.fm) is considering adding Ogg Vorbis
streams and I'd love to see that happen.

Probably they are trying to get an idea how many people will use the
Vorbis streams to decide if it will be worthwhile (they're also
considering other formats--WMA, mp3pro, and other evils). So if you are
a DI listener, please make your voice heard that WE WANT OGG!

There is a poll on the forums, and shows Ogg Vorbis getting more votes
than all the other formats combined.
(http://www.di.fm/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14) It looks like
this poll has been around for a while, but it wouldn't hurt to cast your
vote if you're so inclined. Maybe email Ari (he's the main technical
gent, as I understand it, and he hangs out on the forums) and let him
know you want Ogg.

One of the concerns that was mentioned on the di.fm forums is the
stability of Icecast. There was mention of numerous bugs etc., although
some people responded in defense of Icecast's stability. I haven't done
more than play around with Icecast, so I can't say one way or the other.

There are already quite a few people who really want Vorbis streams.
There's even a thread asking who is willing to help set up Ogg
streaming. Unfortunately, the DI staff hasn't accepted any of our offers
for help yet. (http://www.di.fm/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44740)

For those who haven't heard of DI Radio:
if you like trance, dance, techno, or other electronic music, try di.fm.
(They also have a classical, jazz, and salsa streams!) It's my favorite
station in the galaxy.

-cd