[vorbis] 64kpbs listening test results

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Mon Sep 22 07:59:28 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:01:58AM -0700, Jonathan Ingram wrote:
> A large group 64kbps listening test has just come to an end, organised through
> the Hydrogenaudio[1] audio discussion board (and managed expertly by Roberto
> Amorim). Eight codecs were tested on twelve different samples, designed to
> cover a wide range of musical genres.

You missed a pretty major one, pure voice ala talk radio.  One person,
two people, etc.  Also it'd be nice if more techno was included (Daft
Punk barely fits) as well as prehaps an Enya sample (techno + heavy
vocals).

Overall, I think Vorbis did damned well, and considering that both
MP3Pro and AAC are heavily patented the choice is pretty clear.