[vorbis] [faq?] Portable players supporting ogg vorbis

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Nov 11 12:01:25 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:33:13AM -0800, Andrew Burghardt wrote:

> I'm curious how the other players handle the concatenated vorbis
> streams. This would be my first though as a workaround to the gap
> problem mentioned with one of the other players. Can anybody with the
> iRiver or Karma comment on this? I suspect one of these will be my next
> portable but I listen to many live recordings spanning multiple tracks
> and gaps are fairly annoying so I'd prefer to have at least a
> workaround.

Well, you have to reparse the headers at the chain boundary and either
set up a new decoder or detect that the old setup is identical and use
that. I imagine the problem is they're doing the obvious and just
starting playback when the previous logical stream finishes, but the
player isn't fast enough to do the teardown/setup before the playback
runs out of decoded data.

The way around this (aside from just making codec setup or the cpu
faster) is to start decoding the next link in the chain (or file)
in parallel before the previous finishes. How hard that is depends
a lot on the software architecture inside the player, but if it does
gapless playback between normal files, it shouldn't be a difficult
improvement.

FWIW,
 -r