[vorbis] Re: Questions about your Neuros (was: [faq?] Portable players supporting ogg vorbis)

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Mon Nov 17 15:46:04 PST 2003

Daniel Déchelotte (maitre_yodan at club-internet.fr) wrote:

> Hi Greg,

I'm cc'ing the list because I'm sure these questions will be of use to
many other people.

> Yeah, I also find it hard to resist, but there is still one bit that
> concerns me: this huge and not so good-looking black backpack. How big is
> it actually? I am suspecting it's huge because I can't find any side
> picture of the Neuros. Would you be extremely kind and make a picture of
> yours?

Well, a picture won't give you the size either, unless I put it next to
something of known size (like a ruler).  I do have a digicam, but I
think my wife's got it right now.

The Neuros with the hard drive attached is 13 cm long, 8 cm wide and 3 cm
tall.  If I'm holding it in my hand, I can't hold much else.  It could
fit in a good-sized pocket.  It seems to weigh somewhere around 8 ounces
(240 g), by comparing it to some cans in the kitchen, but I'm pretty
bad at guessing weights.

Yes, it's much larger than the "new" players that are arriving on the
market now (I saw some of them in a store here).  But I bought mine for
use in a car, so the size is not an issue for me.

> Another question for you: the big backpack is for the hard-drive. But what
> about the small one? Is it the flash memory? Does that mean that the slick
> silver player _has_ to be in one of the two backpacks to be of any use?

That's correct.  The player itself (the silver part) has no fixed
storage, so you must have it attached to either the hard drive "backpack"
or the smaller Flash component that can be clipped to a belt.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |